LATEST COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

LBSC Draft Minutes 3 November 2017 page 1 prepared by Paul D
Loch Broom Sailing Club
Draft Minutes - 3 November 2017 at 5:30 pm
1. Present: Rona Johnson (part time), John Osborne, Alison Osborne, Bobby
Osborne, Donald Buchanan, Gill Wilson, Dave Maxwell (Treasurer), Adrian
Morgan (Commodore), Sandy Osborne, Anthony O’Flaherty, Paul Copestake,
Nat Wilson (part time), Paul Driver (Secretary)
Apologies: Robert White, Gilly Meighan, David Dawson
2. Approval of Draft Minutes of Previous Meetings
2.1. 18th March 2017: Noted that these were approved at meeting of 11th August
2.2. 11th August 2017 (Meeting re UHT proposals for Wee Pier): Add note re approval
of minutes of 18th March meeting, otherwise approved.
3. Matters Arising (not dealt with elsewhere)
3.1. Trailer – Actions from 18/3: Conditions for use – ongoing, noted that trailer had
been used little, Adrian will put conditions on blog; Lock for trailer – done.
3.2. Fundraising Boat Jumble of 6th May (Action from 18/3 AOB) – event had been
quiet, but had raised £100 (this has at present been offset by Nat and Gill against
the £123 spent by Nat on flying fifteen refurbishment). Main lesson for possible
future events is to start planning and publicising earlier.
4. Officers’ Reports
4.1. Commodore’s Report: A good season generally, notable for little wind. See
Champions’ Reports for comments on specific activities.
4.2. Treasurer’s Report: Balance stands at £9595; main expense since March was
insurance. Paul D still has some items in hand to balance and hand over. Main
loss of revenue over the years has been boat parking. Eilean Dubh – Dave to
invoice Iain Boyd for £75. Revised spending guidelines (Action DM/PD from 18/3)
ongoing.
4.3. Secretary: Paul D standing down – agreed to co-opt David Dawson as
replacement. David’s position as Hon Sec will be formalised at next AGM.
5. Champions’ Reports
5.1. Cruising: John thought that this had been the biggest ever cruising season, with
eight boats heading for Oban. Also notable were shakedown cruise to Skye and
the Storm Cruise, and Hugh Stirling’s travels to Scandinavia etc (although currently
stuck in Wales!).
Request received to fix date for Summer Cruise: 29th June to 14th July pencilled in.
5.2. Flying Fifteens: A good season all round. Would be good to get more people
involved in the racing. Proposed holding an early season regatta/open day
specifically aimed at giving people a chance to experience FF sailing – worth
targeting rowers for this. Nat had refurbished and then sailed the Club’s second
FF. Freedom not used 2017; Anthony planning to take this boat on next year.
Merits of hauling out to scrub hull midseason debated – increase in speed or
weed?
LBSC Draft Minutes 3 November 2017 page 2 prepared by Paul D
5.3. Youth: Dave reported that Pico Week had been successful, with numbers at
capacity. A couple of ad hoc sessions had been managed early season, but little
if anything after Pico week – main reasons being junior’s work commitments, and
too little wind when folk were available. Some children had taken part in the HMS
winter series last year – aim to repeat this year if children’s exams etc permit, with
possibility of LBSC hosting a session. Anthony to contact HMS to discuss. Picos
to be put on trailer and moved to Paul D’s garden. Remaining dinghies to be moved
or well tied down.
5.4. Skiff: Paul C reported that the season so far had seen the ladies active, but men
less so; expected that men would be rowing more through the winter. Next
weekend (11th Nov) sees Ullapool hosting the NW Rowing League – should be
involved in this, and then gauge interest in travelling to future fixtures. Loki
requires some maintenance, mainly sanding down and painting.
5.5. Clubhouse and surrounds – nothing of note at present.
5.6. RIB – the boat is winterised with cover on (Sandy will look at manual to double
check). Engine service not required due to low usage over past year. Morse cables
replaced last summer during Pico week. Prop has been refurbished, but new prop
guard required prior to junior sessions.
6. Plans for Works on Wee Pier
Actions from 11/8 re letters to HC and UHT concerning surrender of lease all
complete.
Sandy presented outline of works proposed by UHT. Main change from plans
previously circulated is that no works are now proposed for the grass bank area;
hoped that better solution can be achieved in future. Currently at stage of going to
tender and getting funding in place. Licence for works expected Feb/Mar next year,
with work starting shortly after and running for about 5 months through the
summer. Throughout this time the jetty area will be a building site, and out of use,
although the beach should be clear. All sections of the club will have to change the
way that they operate during this period, it was suggested that this could be a
benefit if approached positively (eg shifting junior activities to a different location
could be fun for kids). Extent to which parked boats (skiffs, ED) will need to be
moved elsewhere not certain at present. Contractors might want to use our
facilities (eg toilets, hardstanding), and in this case we should seek some quid pro
quo arrangement of benefit to the club. With jetty being extended, club moorings
will be shifted to the west. Strip of land previously leased by club: concern about
club’s future use/rights, especially status of temporary shelter which extends into
that ground – this can be discussed between club and UHT in future. Sandy
confirmed that the work on the jetty is a self-standing item, and not linked in with
other possible future works on the harbour. The jetty is seen as an asset for the
community, of benefit to those engaged in a wide range of watersports.
7. Annual Dinner – 16th December
Rona has organisation in hand, with invites sent out. Drinks on arrival – only if
included in price. Wine list – Rona will check with Shona as to what the
arrangement was in the past. Table layout – finalise when numbers attending are
known. UCR Club invited via Jonathan. Any others to invite: Brian W. Robert will
be away on the night – John to sort arrangements for prizegiving with CP. Crackers
– decided that it would be a Bring Your Own Crackers party.
8. Future Plans for Junior Sailing
Noted that sailing dinghies were little used last year, other than in Pico Week.
Exploring an idea to address this, and get more children sailing, Adrian has spoken
to Head Teacher at High School to see if the school could form a sailing club,
probably running on Friday afternoons, with LBSC offering use of boats and
facilities. Broad support for this idea, subject to LBSC’s assets being protected (eg
LBSC Draft Minutes 3 November 2017 page 3 prepared by Paul D
through school’s insurance), and our club not taking on any liabilities (eg blame for
any accidents involving school’s use of facilities). Recognised that various hurdles
exist for the school to get such a scheme running: children already
kayaking/rowing/swimming etc on Friday afternoons; as an example,
Kinlochbervie school offered sailing, but had teachers who could sail, one being
an instructor – Ullapool would need money, or volunteers. Look at getting topic on
agenda for forthcoming Parent Council meeting. No further LBSC action at present
– await proposal from school.
9. AOB
Date of AGM set for Saturday 31 March 2018. Follow with “Royal Bash” as last
year.

No comments:

Post a Comment