JSW

JSW
Sea survival. A truly eye-opening experience for the 15 or so adults and the same number of children who attended the course at the pool. In a real situation the water would be cold, the weather violent and the chances of survival measured in minutes. The lesson: DO NOT FALL IN. You are likely to die.

Latest Minutes



      Loch Broom Sailing Club
Minutes Saturday 18th March 2017 at 4:20 pm


1.                  Present: Adrian Morgan, John Osborne, Kate Copestake, Nat Wilson, Dave Maxwell, Paul Copestake, Sandy Osborne, Gill Wilson, Donald Buchanan, Paul Driver
Apologies: Gilly Meighan, Jason Leon, Alison, Bobby and Siobhan Osborne, Craig Maddock.

2.                  Minutes previous meetings

2.1.              28th January 2017: Accepted as read
2.2.              22nd October 2016 (Last full committee): Accepted as read
2.3.              4th March 2017 (Draft AGM Minutes): Have been circulated, to be approved at next AGM.

3.                  Officers' reports

3.1.              Commodore:  Focus on offering value for money to members – how can this be realised when most have their own boats? At present those who seem to benefit most are junior sailors using club dinghies, those who sail the club’s Flying Fifteens (only one operational at present), and rowers. Need to encourage members to crew for private yachts and Flying Fifteens.
3.2.              Treasurer: bank balance stands at approx. £11k, with membership subs largely received, and no major expenses as yet this year (main expenses known are insurance ~£1500, and roof repair (see below)). At present, each Champion has a spending limit of £100 per year, with anything over this requiring approval by the committee. The guideline budget for each Champion is £300 – if this figure is spent across the board, the club would make an annual loss of around £250, which is sustainable in the short to medium term. Paul and Dave to review spending guidelines.
Post AGM Rollick: 53 paid £17.50, 53 attended (51 paying and 2 guests) charged £15.00 by Royal, £100 given as quiz prize, leaving surplus of £32.50. If those who paid and didn’t attend want a refund – break even. Donald’s raffle raised £150. Only gripe was lack of pudding; coffee was available on request. Repeat event next year.

4.                  Champions' Comments

4.1.              Cruising (John O):  Dates on programme remain unchanged.
4.2.              Flying Fifteens (Adrian):  Sandy is looking at handicaps – likely to remain much the same. “Freedom” in good shape. Discussion about second FF centred on its colour – Nat and Gill to look at adopting this boat, with a budget of £300 for bringing it up to spec.
4.3.              Youth (David-Paul D-Alison):  Dave reported that 14 are signed up for Pico Week, which has Robyn as instructor as per last year. Emma is around in the summer, and hopes to be available to help with sessions.
4.4.              Skiff (Paul C):  In summary, regular rowing sessions continue, new oars made over winter, and in training for Coigach and Ullapool Regattas.
4.5.              Clubhouse and surrounds (Donald):  Clubhouse roof is leaking above clubroom. Sandy to obtain opinons/advice and quotes from local contractors. Paul D to make temporary repair to prevent further damage. Could also consider fibre glass roof with fall.
New combination lock bought for shed, following loss of key.
Clubroom heater left on on several occasions, evidence of smoking and drinking – culprits unknown. Donald and Adrian to fit combination lock (that we have) to clubroom door [note: overtaken by events subsequent to meeting].
Donald has offer of kerb stones etc from Royal works. Royal’s contractors unlikely to be able to help with placement on club hardstanding. Job for forthcoming Work Day.
Wee Pier: Some pipe fendering fitted, but bolts still protruding elsewhere. We have pipe to fit. John to obtain studs and nuts; Sandy to obtain grout. For work day.
New water heater needs to be turned down to Frost Protection setting after use – notice required.

4.6.              Trailer: Has new wheels, and is finished mechanically. Frame needs sanding/rust treatment, and painting with Hammerite. Paul C to draw up conditions for use. Noted particularly that those driving must have trailers included on their licence, and have motor insurance that covers trailers. Tailboard to be provided by those borrowing trailer – needs to be full width. Only for use of club members. Fee for borrowing to be decided – around £10. Never to be put in seawater. Decided not to include under club insurance – theft is only risk. Keep in John’s field. Lock needed – John to investigate.

4.7.              Review of Champions – remain as last year.

5.                  Work Day and Curry night Afternoon Tea, 25th March

Tasks: Fit fenders to wee pier, paint trailer, prepare for surfacing of hardstanding, general tidying, and more.
Time: 11am start, with tea at 3 pm.

6.                  AOB
Clash noted between Coigach Rowing and Isle Martin event – both dates set, unfortunate.
Nat mentioned fundraising – need to continue despite healthy funds. Decided to organise an “Outdoor Activity Jumble”, with date around 22 April (check on other activities). Charge £10 per pitch. No public advertising of event due to licence requirement. Adrian and Gill to take forward.
Noted: Inverness Boat Jumble taking place North Kessock, 29 April, in aid of RNLI.



2017 Committee

Commodore:               Adrian Morgan
Vice Commodore:       John Osborne
Treasurer                    Dave Maxwell
Secretary                    Paul Driver

Members
Paul Copestake, Robert White, Siobhan Osborne, Bobby Osborne, Alison Osborne, Sandy Osborne, Anthony O’Flaherty, Donald Buchannan, Gilly Meighan, Nat Wilson, Jill Wilson. 

TWO DATES

SATURDAY 25TH MARCH 11AM WORK AND TEA PARTY
Willing hands and pastries needed next Saturday 25th from 11am for a few hours to give the club and surrounds a spring clean and sprucing up, as well as some more arduous chores.
Working clothes and tools (rakes, shovels, brushes etc)

BRING (or better still) BAKE A CAKE for tea at 3pm. There will be a prize for the best one.
 
 
 and...
 
 
 
SATURDAY 22ND APRIL JUMBLE SALE
Boat and outdoors Jumble sale.
 
Watch this space for more details.
 
 
 

iLAND Festival 19-21 May

Tim Loftus sent us this, with a note:

The isle Martin trust are having a festival in May. http://www.islemartin.org/?page_id=281

It would be great to have sailing club members along (especially as they can generally get there under their own steam). The pontoon will be busy and we would be looking to keep one side completely clear for the ferries which I imagine will be running almost continously. I imagine anchoring might be a good option for some (tripping line advised!).

More info. as it develops.





iLAND Festival


iLAND
Festival of Future Living and Community Resilience

Invitation to be yourself, on an island, on the weekend of 19th/20th/21st of May 2017

This 3 day, off-grid, island bound festival wants you! Community owned and run Isle Martin is extending its usual open day to fit in more walks, talks and other installations. We would like you to get in touch if there is something you’d like to do on the island that weekend, however big or small. From painting pebble to planting the seeds of future projects.

We have a variety of rooms and spaces available for organisations, groups, businesses and individuals to curate, and are open to all proposals.

iLAND aims to present the best in local resources, produce and talent. That the land and sea are our greatest resource is recognised on Isle Martin by its inclusion in Wester Ross Marine Protection Area, Wester Ross Geopark, Coigach and Assynt Living Landscape Partnership and most recently in the UNESCO designated Man and the Biosphere program. We would like to bring the community together to celebrate this through the diversity and richness of the local culture. Whether your medium is music, art, literature or skiffing!

This event is designed to bring generations together, to work with and learn from one another, to record history to learn from and plan for the future. We would love to see proposals and inclusions from people working with whatever it is you work in. How would you like to use your island? Art, Baking, Crafts, Dry stone dyking, Ecology, Foraging, Guides, Holistic therapies, Installations, Jazz, Knitting, Literature, Music…you get the idea. Come and join us to help create your island of tomorrow.



Rollick. Hic... it's all a Bit of a Blur...

We'll do it again next year, but even better. Over 50 turned up and all bar one or two paid. After more than enough time in the bar, and a  pain-free AGM, it was back to the bar for a swift one or two before the buffet began, nearer 8 than 7.30.

Like black backed gulls (or maybe herring gulls, ask Paul), 56 people descended on the food. The buffet was excellent, and if we had wanted more salad (Scottish hotels I have found are generally salad free areas, at least to those of us from the soft South) we should, says Neil, have jolly well asked.There was more than enough, with a few prawns still kicking around after the Quiz.

The Royal did us proud though with smoked salmon, prawns and various quiches, cold meats, ham, etc plus as many sausage rolls as you could eat. Things went on until near midnight, as the staff looked nervously at the debris (most of whom had departed home) that needed to be cleared for breakfast next morning.


The Quiz was a laugh, with eight teams of around seven members: Lochsiders & Co (Rona); Boat McBoatFace (Paul); Up a Creek (Topher); I am Adrian and I love the Biosphere [sic] (Sue); The In Crowd (Adrian);We Haf Bols (Donald); Sinking Ship (Jonathan) and the curiously named Triangular Folds Team (Robert)** at least that's what it sounded like. How sweet, thought the commodore. A team named after napkin arrangement.


After 30 or so questions the tie at 16 1/2 points came down to a close finish between the winning In Crowd, Boaty, Triangular Folds  and Up a Creek, with the £100 prize going to a charity that supports children with a rare condition. The questions ranged from the obvious (how many portholes in the club house) to the frankly ridiculous (what's the current compass variation and how deep is it on a line from the Point to Alnaharrie, as if any self respecting WAFI would know, or even care).


With 35 or so of the above, and 21 OAFIs (The Honorable Donald's brilliant acronym for Oar Assisted Flipping Idiots), turnout far exceeded expectations. Missed from the occasion were half of the Osbornes, who elected to go hurtling down alpine slopes and sip gluhwein rather than mix with the rank and file, but Mairi, Siobhan, Bob, Alison and Jessie kept the Osborne end up.

And next year, if we repeat the Rollick, THERE WILL BE PUDDINGS!

** Turns out it was Niagara Falls not Triangular Folds (a symptom of the commodore going deaf).